Every international student’s transition to a new country is challenging since there are so many details to sort out. With all of the stress that comes with this type of situation, you may find yourself paying less attention to your health than usual.

The impacts of adjusting to the new diet, a foreign environment, and homesickness might worsen existing health problems. It’s easy to get caught up in your academics and forget to look for yourself. You do not need to be worried, though, because the UK healthcare system is often recognized as the greatest in the world. Under the NHS (National Health Service), everyone, including full-time overseas students, is entitled to free healthcare.

This blog aims to provide practical information on how to acquire medical treatment as well as tips on how to look for yourself.

How does it work?

If you’re applying for a Tier 4 student visa and want to stay in the UK for six months or more, you’ll have to pay an immigration health surcharge as part of your visa application fee. To enter the United Kingdom, you do not need to get any vaccination. People in some nations, however, must be tested for tuberculosis.

Register with General Practitioner

When you arrive in the UK, you must register with a general practitioner (GP). For verification of your student visa, you will need a letter from your college/university and your passport. The GP can manage most issues and illnesses, but you may need to see a specialist for a particular treatment that they may not be able to offer on-site. Before your visit, you must obtain a reference from your general practitioner and schedule an appointment.
The majority of GP surgeries and health centres are open throughout the day and early evening. When the Surgery or Health Centre is closed, they usually leave a message on the answering machine explaining where you may obtain treatment. An NHS Walk-in Clinic may be available at your local hospital.
It is particularly more essential to register with a GP as soon as you arrive if you have a medical condition for which you are already receiving treatment or are on certain medication. This is necessary since you will probably need to see a doctor throughout your time at the college, even if it is simply for a prescription or a check-up. This is especially handy if you are waiting at home for test results or a diagnosis from your doctors.

We at Househat are committed to providing you with the best student accommodation experience in Oxfordshire. If you require any guidance, we would be delighted to assist you with them.